- 1 Free Range Duck Egg or Hen’s Egg
- 2 -3 Slices Cured Parma Ham
- 3 Medium Spears of Asparagus
- 1 small handful wild cress salad
- 50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Good pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 3 Egg Yolks (for the Hollandaise sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 packet unsalted Butter (should be enough for 4 servings easily)
- N.B. You’ll need a total of 4 eggs for each serving – 3 yolks for the Hollandaise sauce and 1 soft boiled
- Snap the Asparagus spears at the root end using your thumb and finger. They will snap at the “tenderness point”.
- Place the Asparagus into boiling salted water for approx 3 minutes or until tender (important not to overcook and use plenty of salt).
- Plunge the Asparagus into ICE cold water and leave.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and add the eggs for soft boiling.
- Simmer for 5 minutes depending on egg size (water must simmer and bubble otherwise egg will not cook evenly).
- Take the pan off the heat and leave the eggs in the water for 20 minutes.
- Remove eggs from pan aside from the ones you will keep soft boiled for each serving and whisk egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl over hot water for 2 minutes until egg thickens (make sure bowl does not touch the water as this will scramble the egg yolk and be no good.
- Add White Wine vinegar and a little warm water (1 tblsp) to the whisked egg in the bowl. This emulsifies the egg and vinegar and enables you to add the butter more easily.
- When the mix has thickened, keep it warm (a gentle simmer will be sufficient).
- Melt butter in microwave or in a pan. The butter must be warm, if cold it will spilt.
- Add the butter carefully to the warmed egg mixture whilst whisking at all times.
- Once all the butter has been added, take off heat, taste and season, adjust thickness if you wish with a little warm water.
- Leave somewhere warm.
Presenting the dish
- Dry off asparagus and season with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Peel egg under cold water, dry off and cut lengthways (be careful as should be runny) and season egg with salt and pepper.
- Arrange asparagus on plate, add cut egg, arrange salad cress with a little drizzle of Olive Oil, add Hollandaise over the asparagus or in a dish (as shown).