The City of Oulu itself has over 137,000 inhabitants. There are good opportunities for studying, working and research and development, especially in the hi-tech sector. The Oulu Region also has a lively cultural climate.
Transport connections are direct and fast, regardless of the means of transport or direction. All main roads meet in Oulu. Oulu has an international airport and there are about 15 flights to and from Helsinki each day. In addition, you can fly direct from Oulu to Riga, Tampere, Rovaniemi and Kemi–Tornio. Oulu railway station is one of the busiest in Finland.
Nowadays the Oulu Region is well known for its technology, the hi-tech growth having started after the establishment of Oulu University in 1958. There are two science parks in the region: Technopolis Plc, Scandinavia’s first science park, and Medipolis Ltd., as well as a technology centre, Ii Micropolis Ltd. The region is home to many hi-tech companies, such as Nokia, and the sector currently employs over 10,000 people.
- Web Camera Oulu, Tuiran sillat, Finland (livenowtravel.wordpress.com)
- This Week in Oulu: Laskiainen, Ystävänpäivä and Reindeer Racing (finlandandback.wordpress.com)
- Natural Oulu vs Industrial Oulu (finlandandback.wordpress.com)
- Hello Oulu! (finlandandback.wordpress.com)
- Finnish Startup Hub Starttaamo Says Its Members Have Raised Up To €25M Total Funding In Two Years (techcrunch.com)
- Zambia investigated for match-fixing (bigpondnews.com)
- ZENITH REUNION – New Album Art Revealed (bravewords.com)
- 3D Visualization Apps are Coming – to the web and mobile worlds (3d.coldstreams.com)
- Friday Wrap Up: Crowdfunding Success, Tech Events And Pirates (arcticstartup.com)
- Technopolis Scoops up Nokia’s Finnish Campus for $41.6M USD (dailytech.com)